Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

need advice on tx

I tested hiv+ in 1990, had pneumocystitis and mac at time of dx. Started meds immediately. CD4 was 2, now in 4 yrs only gone up to 75. Is this the best I can hope for? VL is undetected. Doc has never changed my drug regimine from the beginning.

Response from Dr. Lee

Your immune system has not rebounded as well as you hoped, but with an undetected VL (viral load) you may be doing the best you can. At least the CD4's have increased somewhat! Recovery is sometimes slow, especially for people who are older at the time of infection. Don't give up. It is not clear that a change in medications will help. The HIV meds simply hold the virus in check, they do not stimulate the immune system.

Be well.

HIV testing
Married + man and now have baby