Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV testing

If a female were to become pregnant, but seek an abortion. Would she have to first see a doctor to prove that she is actually pregnant first? And if so, do doctors always recommend an HIV test along with other blood tests? Would the doctor still offer the same tests even if he/she knew they were going to receive an abortion?

Response from Dr. Lee

I am not aware of any doctor who would perform an abortion without first assuring the woman was pregnant through a pregnancy test. Although HIV testing is recommended for all pregnant women, it is not required. I am sorry to say that there are some docs who do not routinely offer the HIV test to all pregnant women.

Be well.

hiv+ mother
need advice on tx