Women and HIVWomen and HIV

hiv+ mother

my 15 month little girl as tested-neg so far now at her 15 month test they said it came back as supect what are the chances of her being hiv+ please help

Response from Dr. Lee

This is very little information to go on. What tests have been done?

Often we are using the PCR direct antigen testing in children rather than the antibody tests which take much longer to convert to positive. If the test was an ELISA, it may be falsely "suspect". If it is a PCR test, it would be unlikely for it to be negative up to fifteen months and then convert (unless you have been breastfeeding, which could transmit the virus beyond the delivery).

I assume that you are positive. Were you on treatment during the pregnancy? Have you breastfed your daughter? What have your own viral and CD4 (T4)levels been?

My advice is to check with your doc to get complete info based upon the answers to these and other questions.

Be well.

Just tested + & pregnant. I need help?
HIV testing