Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Just tested + & pregnant. I need help?

I was tested 2wks ago and was diagnoised on May 5, 2004, I am 2mnths pregnant and scarred!! I have been tested 3x in the last 6yrs with neg. results so none of this makes any sense to me. I have had normal pap smears, I did have my cervis treated for a bacteria infection I think back in 95-96, I have had a breast reduction in 2000, I also had my son in 4-00 was tested in 98, 99, 2002. I don't know what happened I have been married to my husband for 6yrs & we've been together since 1992. I guess my question is could the infection live inside of me and go undetected for so long? I haven't been with anyone else sexually besides my husband since 1990 or 1991!! My other concern is what are the odds of my unborn baby being infected if I decide to keep it? I am suppose to go to a specialist tomorrow and I am really really scarred but I want to do what's right to protect and live a longer life for myself and my family. Thanks also for this forum I started doing research on this yesterday and I have gotten a lot of insight about my situation just by reading about others situation. Thanks for your answers and support for letting me know that I am not just a statitic but an important person!!!

Response from Dr. Lee

It is understandable that you are scared. Be sure you talk to your doctor about the tests that were done and the specifics of how they are being interpreted. It is even possible to have a false postive test during pregnancy.

However, if you are infected, you and your baby may do fine with proper care. I note that you said "if I decide to keep it." If you are considering an abortion, please do not make that decision just on the basis of the test results you have had, but get some good information first.

Be sure you see a doc who is well-versed in HIV disease. Be well.

Pregnancy and HIV test
hiv+ mother