Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Pregnancy and HIV test

When I was pregnant I was tested for HIV. Apparently they did the Western Blot first. Which came back with one positive. The nurse explained to me that there are ten parts to the test and only one of mine came back positive. So they re-tested the same blood with the ELISA which came back negative. What do you think of this? And also could the Western Blot come back like that due to the pregnancy?

Response from Dr. Lee

Yes, sometimes women who test during pregnancy have an false positive tests. The ELISA is the first screening test which is not very specific, this is sometimes falsely positive in pregnancy women. The Western Blot is usually more specific, but may also have some indeterminate banding patterns during pregnancy. It is less commonly a true false positive. Based on your description, I believe you are probably negative. But to be safe, I recommend re-testing later.

Be well.

Acne more Common with HIV-Positive People?
Just tested + & pregnant. I need help?