The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ and Planning to get pregnant
May 7, 2004

Dear Dr. Lee, I am HIV Positive, my latest viral load is 2,000 and my CD4 is 575, I believe I was infected in year 2000. I am not on any sort of medications yet. I am planning to get pregnant,what are the possible medications that the doctor will give me, and when is the safe time of pregnancy to start taking the medication?

Can you recommend a doctor that is an expert in handling HIV+pregnant women or an HIV specialist. I am really looking forward fro your response. God Bless us all!

Response from Dr. Lee

There are more than twenty possible medicines to take to control your HIV. Most of them have been approved for use during pregnancy, but we are not able to say that they are actually "safe". You are certainly in a good situation (with a relatively low viral load) to wait until after you are past the first trimester to begin medicine. The first trimester is the first three months of pregnancy during which most of the organs are developed and most severe birth defects occur.

I would suggest that you get situated in your new home with a knowledgeable HIV treating doctor before you become pregnant. There are many other things you may want to take into account. For example, it is good to begin taking folate or other vitamins before you become pregnant. Contact the HIV Medical Association or a local AIDS Service Organization in your area to find a doc. An organization out of Los Angeles called WORLD ( may have some peer recommendations for you.

Be well.

Actos and belly fat
Acne more Common with HIV-Positive People?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint