Women and HIVWomen and HIV

hiv meds & abnormal gyn test

I've been hiv for about 14yrs and currently on meds. When I do my gyn test, it comes back abnormal. But when I go off medicine which I have done twice since I started taking meds 8yrs ago, my gyn test come back normal. What does hiv meds have to do with abnormal gyn test?

Response from Dr. Lee

I am not sure what you mean by the gyn test. Is it a pap smear? Have you had additional tests? (Such as a colposcopy.)

The meds will not cause an abnormal pap. Do not stop your meds to try to effect your pap smear.

Abnormal paps are usually caused by a skin virus called Human Papilloma Virus. This virus and the inflammation (the response your body makes to try to clear it away) it causes can be treated. If it is not properly treated, it may progress to cervical cancer in women and sometimes cancer of the penis in men.

Talk to your doc about the meaning of and treatment for the abnormal gyn test.

Be well.

I would like to gain plenty of weight
Blood in Glass