Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Breast Milk Adult Transmission

Reading through your website, it seems that in the late nineties, breast milk HIV transmission to a male adults could be a risk through nipple sucking etc, but over the past 3 years, The Body experts say no risk in various forum questions, as stated on June 27, 2002. Question is, "If I got breast milk in my mouth, a drop or two, from an HIV positive women, and lets say I did have a blister etc in my mouth, is this considered a way of tranmission? Why? Should I be tested?"

Second question, if I do have an HIV test through my Life Insurance company, who will be testing my serum for this test, is it just as accurate as getting it done through a Doctor?

Your quick reply is greatly appreciated

Response from Dr. Lee

Breastfeeding may transmit to babies in part due to the quantity of milk (which is like "white blood" as it has live cells in it) which they ingest. An adult who gets a drop or two of milk in their mouth could theoretically get HIV if they had an open area in their mouth. There is not a great probablility of transmission in this manner, although there is a very small possibility.

I do not know what type of HIV test the life insurance company is using. Therefore I cannot compare accuracies.

Be well.

fasting & delayed seroconversion
Your response to Cathy from Australia