Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Does HIV meds cause nightmares?

My girlfriend has been HIV+ for 8 yrs. She is doing fine with her medicines,Lamivudine,Stavudine and Efavirenz. She is also taking Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) for her seizures. I am quite concerned on how often she has nightmares now. Is this the result of the HIV meds? Or is it stress related? WE are not together right now but when we are she doesnt have these bad dreams.

Her viral load is undetectable and her CD4 is 600+ the last time. How long does she have to take the medicines and will it make her body immune to it in time? This is the only set of medicines that worked for her with less side effects.

Thank you very much.

Kate

Response from Dr. Lee

The medicines may be related to the nightmares. Especially Efavirenz has been associated with some "vivid dreaming". I would recommend that she talk with her doc about this side effect which may be treated or may require medication switch (such as to Viramune).

Be well.

Gay oral Sex
fasting & delayed seroconversion