Women and HIVWomen and HIV

hiv pregnant on combination therapy

I discovered i was pregnant on my 5th week of pregnancy and i was on combination therapy i.e. sustiva,combivir and trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole i stopped my therapy and went to see my doctor who told me to remain on the rest of the drugs except for sustiva in place of sustiva he gave me viramune.I am now 8 weeks pregnant i am worried that if i am taking this therapy now my baby will not come out deformed should i not take the drugs now and continue when i am 13 weeks pregnant

Response from Dr. Lee

It is not likely that you will have a deformed baby due to the medicines. I would not advise you to stop the drugs now and resume them in a month or so. Although I don't have all the details of your case, I think that your doctor's advise is sound. It is important to prevent transmission throughout the pregnancy (including now) and the best bet for that is to reduce the viral load through utilization of the antiviral treatment.

Be well.

Long term nonprogressor, but very ill
advice please