Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Respond!!! (not sure if infected- a worried adolescent)
Apr 28, 2004

Dear Expert,

I thank you for your time. In the month of July 2003, I had unprotected sex once with a partner whos status I'm not aware of (he said he does not have HIV but I'm not 100% sure). It was less than a minute (maybe even a few seconds) & the man did not ejaculate (but I heard of the term pre-ejaculate). We stopped seeing each other a long time ago. Ever since then I havent had any symptoms of HIV (I don't think), but I was told that it can remain dormant in your body for 7 years. In the beginning of September (2003), I had a physical exam & they didn't mention anything, But I'm still very worried that I could be infected and I don't want to infect my loved one. We plan to start a family in the future. I'm 15 & I think I'm to young to be tested. Do you think I'm infected? Also, my loved one had protected sex (with someone else) a couple of months ago. Should he get tested as well? If so, where can we get tested? And how much would it cost? Also, because we are under-aged, do we need guardians to go with us to get tested? Is there a place where me & my loved one can go to get tested where everything will be confidential? Once again I thank you & I greatly appreciate your time.

-A worried adolescent in N.Y

Response from Dr. Lee

Lots of questions: I was told that it can remain dormant... >HIV is not actually dormant, but doesn't necessarily cause symptoms (or any evidence of illness) for many years.

I had a physical exam & they didn't mention anything... >They won't mention anything unless you are specifically tested for HIV. The test is not done unless you ask for it to be done.

I'm 15 & I think I'm to young to be tested... >No you are not! (I would advise you not to have sex at age fifteen, but it's too late for that.) If you are sexually active, you should be tested. AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS, ALWAYS USE CONDOMS.

my loved one had protected sex (with someone else) a couple of months ago. Should he get tested as well? >OF COURSE. YES. And use condoms!

And how much would it cost? >Check with your local health department. It may even be free.

Also, because we are under-aged, do we need guardians to go with us to get tested? >NO. But, I encourage you to talk with your folks.

Be well. (and careful)

Previous
Dear Dr. Lee
Next
Long term nonprogressor, but very ill

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.