Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Please Respond!!! (not sure if infected- a worried adolescent)

Dear Expert,

I thank you for your time. In the month of July 2003, I had unprotected sex once with a partner whos status I'm not aware of (he said he does not have HIV but I'm not 100% sure). It was less than a minute (maybe even a few seconds) & the man did not ejaculate (but I heard of the term pre-ejaculate). We stopped seeing each other a long time ago. Ever since then I havent had any symptoms of HIV (I don't think), but I was told that it can remain dormant in your body for 7 years. In the beginning of September (2003), I had a physical exam & they didn't mention anything, But I'm still very worried that I could be infected and I don't want to infect my loved one. We plan to start a family in the future. I'm 15 & I think I'm to young to be tested. Do you think I'm infected? Also, my loved one had protected sex (with someone else) a couple of months ago. Should he get tested as well? If so, where can we get tested? And how much would it cost? Also, because we are under-aged, do we need guardians to go with us to get tested? Is there a place where me & my loved one can go to get tested where everything will be confidential? Once again I thank you & I greatly appreciate your time.

-A worried adolescent in N.Y

Response from Dr. Lee

Lots of questions: I was told that it can remain dormant... >HIV is not actually dormant, but doesn't necessarily cause symptoms (or any evidence of illness) for many years.

I had a physical exam & they didn't mention anything... >They won't mention anything unless you are specifically tested for HIV. The test is not done unless you ask for it to be done.

I'm 15 & I think I'm to young to be tested... >No you are not! (I would advise you not to have sex at age fifteen, but it's too late for that.) If you are sexually active, you should be tested. AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS, ALWAYS USE CONDOMS.

my loved one had protected sex (with someone else) a couple of months ago. Should he get tested as well? >OF COURSE. YES. And use condoms!

And how much would it cost? >Check with your local health department. It may even be free.

Also, because we are under-aged, do we need guardians to go with us to get tested? >NO. But, I encourage you to talk with your folks.

Be well. (and careful)

Dear Dr. Lee
Long term nonprogressor, but very ill