Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Children with both parents of Hep c

My husband was diagnosised with Hep C, then I was tested I haven't gotten the finally results but I am wondering about my children? Since we are both carriers what is their risks?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Hepatitis C virus infection is primarily spread through contact with or receipt of contaminated blood or plasma; sexual transmission is thought to be uncommon and infection is found in only approximately 1.5% of monogamous partners. Mother-to-child transmission is also relatively rare (5-6%); maternal HIV coinfection and the detection of HCV RNA in moms' blood at delivery are each associated with increased risk of transmission. While HCV is found in breastmilk, transmission through breastfeeding is also thought to be uncommon. Transmission in family settings is rare, but possible through mucocutaneous exposure to blood.

Given the above, you are unlikely to be infected if your only risk factor is sexual relations with your husband, but it is wise for you to be checked. You would not be considered a "carrier" unless you test positive. The odds are also that your children are not infected. However, if your tests come up positive, then your children should be tested, as well.

Pediatric Spastic Paraperesis
Both positive, want a child