Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Children with both parents of Hep c
Apr 22, 2004

My husband was diagnosised with Hep C, then I was tested I haven't gotten the finally results but I am wondering about my children? Since we are both carriers what is their risks?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Hepatitis C virus infection is primarily spread through contact with or receipt of contaminated blood or plasma; sexual transmission is thought to be uncommon and infection is found in only approximately 1.5% of monogamous partners. Mother-to-child transmission is also relatively rare (5-6%); maternal HIV coinfection and the detection of HCV RNA in moms' blood at delivery are each associated with increased risk of transmission. While HCV is found in breastmilk, transmission through breastfeeding is also thought to be uncommon. Transmission in family settings is rare, but possible through mucocutaneous exposure to blood.

Given the above, you are unlikely to be infected if your only risk factor is sexual relations with your husband, but it is wise for you to be checked. You would not be considered a "carrier" unless you test positive. The odds are also that your children are not infected. However, if your tests come up positive, then your children should be tested, as well.

Previous
Pediatric Spastic Paraperesis
Next
Both positive, want a child

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.