Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Don't want to be a nagging wife

My husband and I are living overseas in a developing country and he insists on having his hair cut by a barber who does not clean his scissors in between clients. At almost every hair cut his neck is nicked by the scissors. If I understand correctly, transmission of HIV would be extraordinarily difficult via this route, but what about other diseases such as Hep C? I give him a hard time about going to this barber and want to know if my worrying is justified.

Thanks, Don't want to be a nagging wife

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

If the nicks are superficial and do not draw blood, you are correct to assume that the risk of transmission of HIV or other viruses is probably low. However, for peace of mind, you might wish to have your husband bring his own scissors for the barber's use.

Scared, can't get response for months.. please help!
Pediatric Spastic Paraperesis