Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CHILDREN
Apr 15, 2004

I KNOW THIS SOUNDS CRAZY, BUT I AM SO WORRIED WITH HIV, THAT IT ALMOST TAKES OVER MY LIFE, THE PROBLEM IS IT ISN'T ANYTHING I AM DOING. I HAVE TWO CHILDREN BOTH BORN NEGATIVE, AND I AM SO WORRIED THEY ARE GOING TO GET HIV. I DON'T EVEN WANT ANYONE TO WATCH THEM, WHICH AS YOU CAN SEE IS A PROBLEM. I HAVE ASKED THIS QUESTION MANY TIMES IN THE SAFE SEX FORUM, BUT NEVER GET A ANSWER AND I HAVE READ PAST ANSWERS WHICH SEEM TO BE NO YOU CAN'T YES YOU CAN SO I AM SO CONFUSED. WHAT I WORRY ABOUT IS BLOOD CONTACT AND CUTS AND STUFF, SINCE I KNOW THE OTHER WAYS SEX, & NEEDLES ARE NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT IF MY KIDS ARE PLAYING WITH SOMEONE AND THEY GET BLOOD ON THEM, WILL THEY BE INFECTED, AND SINCE I CAN'T BE WITH THEM ALL THE TIME, HOW WOULD I KNOW UNLESS I TEST THEM EVERY SIX MONTHS WHICH WOULDN'T HELP MY KIDS ANY. I DON'T WANT TO BE LIKE THIS, I WANT TO LIVE A NORMAL LIFE AND ENJOY MY KIDS AND LET THEM BE KIDS, INSTEAD OF NOT LETTING ANYONE PLAY WITH THEM. MY SON GOES TO HIS GRANDMA'S HOUSE ON TUESDAY SINCE ME AND HIS FATHER AREN'T TOGETHER AND HIS HALF SISTER WHICH I DON'T KNOW HER STATUS I KNOW SHE WAS BORN NEGATIVE IS ALWAYS THERE. WHAT IF SHE GETS BLOOD ON HIM AND HE HAS A SCRATCH? WHEN IT COMES TO BLOOD CONTACT DOES THAT COUNT OR DOES HE HAVE TO ALSO BE BLEEDING. PLEASE HELP ME.

Response from Dr. Lee

It sounds like your concerns about HIV are really disrupting your life. I would strongly encourage you to discuss your worries with your doctor. It is unreasonable to have the intensity of worry that you are describing when there is so little risk. It is not clear why you have become so intensely worried about HIV (there are certainly many more realistic worries for a mom with small children). I suspect you may be suffering from depression and anxiety.

Be well.

Previous
headaches and dizziness
Next
Scared, can't get response for months.. please help!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.