Women and HIVWomen and HIV

cbc in toddler

Recently my one yr old got her cbc done, i got the chance to look at the results on my own ( the nurse left her chart in teh room with us) and on the top it had toxicology and everything was really lower than normal, i was wondering could this be possible hiv infection or what. and when should a one yr old get tested for hiv, is it possible that a person can go for so long 9 yrs. and not have a antibody to hiv in them thanks

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

You should ask your care provider to discuss the results and what they mean with you. A CBC (complete blood count) measures the numbers of red cells and white cells in blood. Changes in blood cell counts do not specifically indicate HIV infection; the cell numbers can fluctuate and may be affected by many factors (intercurrent illness or infections, medications, etc.). So, an abnormal CBC is not an indication for HIV testing.

We do not routinely test 1 year olds for HIV infection. If you have tested negative for HIV, I see no reason for you to test your child.

inconclusive hiv test
do I need to check or not