Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Resistance

If your VL goes up, but not enough to get a phenotype, there is no way to know which drug your virus is mutating against. Right? I was on 2 NRTIs and 1 NNRTI and 1 NtRTI. I switched my NNRTI to a PI. Does that mean that during the first 2 days that the NNRTI level was dropping that my virus probably mutated against it? Meaning i cant go back to that class again?

Response from Dr. Lee

I am very sorry, but you have not given me enough specific information to help you. Generally early resistance is noted for Epivir (which requires only one mutation to confer resistance) and for the NNRTI's. Other NRTI's (Retrovir, Zerit, Videx, Ziagen, etc.) take longer for resistance to develop. Also the PI's generally take longer for resistance to develop. Hope this helps.

Be well.

JUST ONE QUESTION, THANK YOU
inconclusive hiv test