|JUST ONE QUESTION, THANK YOU
Apr 13, 2004
Hi, although im a guy, a 20 year old male from Mexico City, I do have one doubt regarding women and HIV:
1. What role does the Pap Smear ( i think thats its english name, in spanish its callled "papanicolau" ) play in the detection of the HIV virus in women?? What i know is that during this test only a vaginal revision is done but no blood test is performed unless the doctor prescribes it.
Thank you very much. Im looking forward to recieve an answer and be better informed about this subject. Once again, THANKS!
Response from Dr. Lee
The pap smear is used to detect abnormal cells from the cervix. It is not a test for HIV. Women who have abnormal pap smears are generally at higher risk for HIV disease. But, a specific blood (or now saliva) test is necessary to detect HIV.
Recieving HIV/AIDS later in life
- Bloody Pee After Anal With Condom Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Vaginal Sex Without Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Anal Fingering Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Sore On Mouth After Breast Sucking Worried I Have HIV
- Is Vaginal Thrush Contagious?
- Diseases You Can Get On Your Penis
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.