Women and HIVWomen and HIV

prognosis

I have had an on-off relationsgip with a man who was diagnosed with Aids four weeks ago. This diagnosis following a episode of PCP ( 2 months prior he was hospitalised with Cellulitus). He has since had no contact with me. Looking back he had many symptoms probably going back years (fevers, rashes, ulcers etc). he was often 'sick'

When he gave me this news he was in shock but i recall him talkiing about viral loads and "i have only a year etc?".

I was with this person for 8 yaers. We also work together but there is now contact now

I am woundering what his eexpected lifespan is ? months ? years ?

regards amg

Response from Dr. Lee

Whoa! You say you have "had an on-off relationship with a man who was diagnosed with Aids four weeks ago." But, the only thing you are wondering is "what his expected lifespan is ?" You aren't wondering anything about your own risks?

To answer your question- it is unanswerable. So much depends upon whether he has a virus with little resistance, whether he is able to tolerate treatment, and whether his immune system has the capacity to recover if the virus is held in check, etc.

Hopefully he will be able to tolerate an effective treatment and will have recovery of his immune system (which is obviously fairly damaged or he would not have acquired pneumocystis pneumonia- PCP).

Also hopefully, you will be tested soon and have a good (ie negative) result.

Be well.

TUBAL
Got my blood to CDC