Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Mandatory Testing for Pregnant Women

When we now know that today's medicines can prevent a child from being born with HIV, why are we not puruing mandatory testing? Knowing that civil rights of women are the common answer, is it not time in this new millenium to speak for the unborn child, which in turn will help lower the spread of this disease?

Response from Dr. Lee

What would your next step be? Would you also "mandate" that the woman take medicine to protect the child? Would you knock her out and place a stomach tube to force her to take the medicine? I am not sure who you are to believe that you ought to be in a position to dictate to another human being what she should or should not do with her own body, from testing to pill taking--IT IS HER BODY and therefore HER DECISION!

Thanks for your comment. However, it reminds me of a statement attributed to John Stuart Mill: "Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people...it is true that most stupid people are conservative."

If I have offended you by inferring that because you have asked what I believe to be a stupid question, you must be stupid, forgive me. I am aware that at times even clever people come up with some real doozies!

Women and hormones
stupid question