Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Women and hormones

I have noticed since starting my most recent HAART Regime (Kaletra, Epivir and Viread) that my moods are more difficult to control. Although life is stressful enough all by itself, I find that two weeks prior to my cycle starting, I get more moody, depressed and edgy. My periods became irregular, so my doc has me taking the pill continuously. Could this be a side effect of the meds and if so what options other than antidepressants do I have? I also try to exercise at least 3x per week. Thank you!

Response from Dr. Lee

While your mood changes may be associated with the HAART change indirectly, this symptom is probably more directly associated with the apparent change in hormones you have experienced if your periods "became irregular". I don't know what else may be changing (ie:Are you reaching perimenopause? Have you had a significant weight change? Are there any other health changes recently?)

You ought to talk details with your doc. Some of the HAART meds can interact with hormones and/or other medicines (such as the pill).

However, please don't be too hesitant to treat with antidepressants. Some of the newer ones have few interactions or side effects and may significantly help your moods, sleep, appetite, etc.

Be well.

Unreasonable Pregnancy?
Mandatory Testing for Pregnant Women