Women and HIVWomen and HIV

throid & hormones & HIV

I was diagnosed in 1998 with CD4's of 26 and Viral Load of 65,000. I have been on therapy ever since then and we cannot get my CD4s over 300, although my viral load stays undetectable. I have had to have my throid radiated and am on meds, but I've also had a hysterectomy. With all these changes in hormones I feel like I'm going crazy. I take Prozac but I am still so emotional. I don't want to live like this, although I'm not suicidal, I'm just sick of being in Hell before I'm even dead. Can you help? Julie, Michigan

Response from Dr. Sullivan

The fact that your CD4s rebounded from 26 to 300 is very good; 300 CD4s will enable you to remain in good health and over the long-term these numbers could even get better; I would be optimistic and take my medications religiously; long-term maintenance of undetectable viral loads will ensure well being; JLS.

long term survivor wishes to adopt.
how do i be intimate with new partner