Women and HIVWomen and HIV

high white blood cell count, no HIV?

i recently went to the ER with lower back pains and abdominal pains and my period was 2 1/2 months late. they did a urine test and blood test and i was not pregnant, but found thru blood tests and urine tests that i had UTI, kidney infection, and bacterial vaginosis and was treated. my blood cell count was perfect except my white blood cells were very high. my question is, are these HIV symptoms? and would a normal blood test, not a regular HIV test specifically, be able to even suspect HIV? or does it HAVE to be an HIV test?

Response from Dr. Lee

Well now, you say you have a question, but really you have several questions.

Are these HIV symptoms? I assume you mean are the low back and abdominal pains with a late period symptoms of HIV. No. These are more likely symptoms of a genital urinary tract infection such as they diagnosed.

Would a normal blood test, not a regular HIV test specifically, be able to even suspect HIV? No.

Does it HAVE to be an HIV test? YES! The only test other than an HIV test which may indicate HIV is a low CD4 lymphocyte count. (And that is not a specific test, but only an indicator.)

You wonder if a high white blood cell count is an indicator of HIV? No. In fact with HIV, the white blood cell counts tend to be lower rather than higher than normal.

I believe I have answered your questions in this specific situation. Now, you should go to a doctor and ask these and any other questions about HIV and GET TESTED. Also, because you were diagnosed with bacterial vaginitis, I suspect you are not using safer sex (such as condoms). NOT A GOOD IDEA!

R.E.S.P.E.C.T. yourself! Protect yourself. Use condoms!

Be well.

treatment
HIV/breastfeeding, etc.