Women and HIVWomen and HIV

seroconverted when pregnant

Hi, I tested negative right before I conceived, then was Dxd after my infant turned 4 months of age (she passed away at 8 mos of age from complications of AIDS). My initial T cell count was 399 with VL of 39,000. Then T cells remain 350 ish and VL has dropped to around 15,000. My question is this: Because I seroconverted during an immune supressed time (pregnancy) is this why my T cells dropped so low and haven't gone back up? Will they ever go back up (naturally? ) I was on a trial of meds for a short time while trying to conceive another pregnancy and my VL was undetectable but after 5 months on meds my t cells remained 350ish...is this just the number my t cells are going to be? Are they WNL because of being female with pregnancy??

Response from Dr. Lee

I'm not sure that there is a simple answer about why your T cells are relatively low. The fact is the T cell count is based upon a "dance" or interplay between your immune system, the virus that is in your system and many other variables, such as other illnesses, medications, etc. (of course pregnancy does affect the immune system as well.) However, it doesn't sound as though you gave the antiviral medicine "trial" enough time to really have much impact on your T cells. Ordinarily there is a lag between the time the virus is shut down (undetectable) to the time the T cells begin to increase. That lag may be a few weeks to several months or even years in some cases. If you are worried about your T cell levels, you might want to consider staying on treatment for a longer period.

PREGNANT AND POSITIVE
Boyfriend CD4 Count 85