Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PREGNANT AND POSITIVE
Feb 24, 2004

I'M WORRIED THAT MY BABY WILL BORN WITH HIV? I'M GOING TO HAVE A BABY AND I'M POSITIVE, AND I FIND MYSELF WORRING, THAT MY BABY WILL BORN POSITIVE.I'M ON MED , BUT I'M WORRIED CAN YOU HELP ME . I DON'T WANT TO PUT MY CHILD THROW THAT OF TAKING PILLS FOR THE REST OF HIS OR HER LIFE.

Response from Dr. Lee

Pregnant mothers almost always worry about their babies and you have a special reason for concern. It is important to continue to see your doctor regularly and be tested to be certain that your virus is well-controlled. In addition, you reduce the chances of transmitting to your baby by staying healthy during your pregnancy. For example eating nutritious foods and taking vitamins is important as malnutrition and vitamin deficiency may be related to transmission. Also be careful about other sexually transmitted diseases. We know that there is a greater chance of transmission if you have vaginal or more significantly uterine or placental inflammation or infection.

If you maintain an undetected viral load, and are otherwise doing well, the chances of transmitting are less than 3%. That means that 97 of 100 babies would be negative. (Of course it is worrisome to contemplate the 3 that are positive. But, do all you can to try for the 97%.)

Throughout your pregnancy there will doubtless be other things that you will worry about as well. In fact worry is now your lot in life because there is always something to worry about concerning children. As with all things regarding our children- my advice is to do the best you possibly can and then move to the next concern. Actually there are far worse things than taking medicine.

Now, see, I've given you other things to worry about. Best wishes!

Previous
Short Menstrual Periods, Fertiltiy and HIV
Next
seroconverted when pregnant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.