Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Six weeks pregnant on HAART
Feb 19, 2004

What drugs have been used safely during pregnancy?

I am currently taking Combivir and viramune. My doctor has not had many HIV positive pregnant women in his practice. I think he sees mostly gay men. I am 6 weeks pregnant.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Many licensed antiretroviral therapies have been used safely during pregnancy (See the Guide for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents During Pregnancy under the "Treatment Guidelines" secion of this web site for a nice review). The only licensed antiretroviral that is not recommended for use during pregnancy is efavirenz, due to congenital abnormalities that were observed in offspring of monkeys who received high doses of efavirenz during pregnancy. However, the risk of liver toxicity may be slightly increased in pregnant women on stavudine/didanosine combination or in some women who receive chronic nevirapine therapy. CD4 T cell count > 250 appears to be associated with increased risk of liver problems in pregnant women on nevirapine; underlying liver problems (e.g., due to hepatitis C virus co-infection) also increases the risk of liver toxicity. So, some experts have recommended caution in using nevirapine or stavudine/ddI combinations during pregnancy. However, some women, particularly those with limited treatment options may benefit from the use of these agents and close monitoring of liver function tests, particularly over the first 18 weeks of therapy, is recommended if these agents are used. I would urge you to discuss your situation, including possible treatment options, with your care provider.

Previous
Going for the third HIV Test.
Next
An unusual case,need your help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.