The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my babies
Feb 19, 2004

I have two children who were both born to me hiv negative. My concern is that they might contact it through a child or an adult watching them. So i can't leave my children hardly none which is really stessful in times that I need someone to watch them. And when i let someone I feel guilty and worry about what could have happened. my kids are two and one. my one year stays with his grandma on tuesday afternoon's because me and his father are no longer together which he brings a girl around my child who i know nothing about. so here's my question if someone gets blood on my children how likely is it that they will be infected. and would they start to become sick more that would tell me they need testing, i am to the point that i am going to test them even though i have no reason to test them that i know of. please respond and help me, they are both gaining weight, and eating. my daugther hardly ever gets sick. my son has been sick every four to six weeks since birth. mostly with ear infections and running noses. he has yeast infections everytime he takes medicine and sometimes more. he had thrush when he was four weeks old. please tell me do i need to test them, and do the home test work on children this young?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

HIV is not commonly transmitted in family or day care settings, so it would be unlikely for your children to acquire HIV from their playmates.

Survival span
Going for the third HIV Test.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint