Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV infection
Feb 17, 2004

Dear sir/Madam

One of my relative has identified as HIV positive. Both husband and wife. He is having one 3 years kid and he is not infected.

Is it possible that kid can not infected.

How we could know that how much life is left ann or how to take the treatment to come out with this disease.

Are every HIV positive become AIDS patient.

I think it is early stsge and can it be cured.

It was identified when he is unable to eat anything and loosing the weight. Dr. checked twice and now confirmed.

Please suggest me on the basis of above questions. I am waiting your reply.

regards

Response from Dr. Lee

You have asked several questions, most are addressed on other pages of thebody.com. But, let me give you brief answers to the questions.

I am sorry that both the mother and father are infected with HIV. Of course it is very common for this to happen because often the husband has been infected and is not aware of his disease before he shares it with his wife.

The children of an infected mother can get HIV from her during the pregnancy, during the delivery, or even during breastfeeding. However, with all of these possiblities of contracting the virus, about two-thirds of the babies do not get HIV. So yes, it is possible that the kid is not infected.

It is very hard to answer your question about how much life is left. Certainly treatment with antiretroviral medicines, or even some other antibiotics may make a very great difference in how long a person with HIV survives.

Basically, almost everyone who is infected with HIV progresses to AIDS and dies of complications of AIDS unless they have treatment. However, the treatment does not cure HIV, but only controls it or slows it down. (Sometimes it can be slowed so much that the infected person can live for many years.)

Previous
pregnancy and false positive
Next
Survival span

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.