Women and HIVWomen and HIV

oral thrush

I am not sexually active and have had an hiv test twice and both came out negative. The problem is a couple of months ago I was treated for oral thrush because I was on steriods for allergies. I am on no medications at this time and I think it is coming back. Should I be worried?

Response from Dr. Lee

As you pointed out, HIV is not the only cause of thrush. Oral thrush is not an uncommon problem for folks on steroids. Generally the development of thrush with HIV is not in the first few months of infection, but later when there has been cummulative damage to the immune system. If you have been sexually active and especially if you are not using safer sex techniques you should have periodic HIV testing. Your doctor can help you decide how frequently testing is advised.

Want to have a baby
Can Syphilis test detect HIV?