Women and HIVWomen and HIV

PREGNANT AND MEDS

I'M PREGNANT AND I WAS ON VIREAD,VIRAMUNEAND EPIVIR BEFORE I KNOW THAT I WAS PREGNANT. MY DOCTOR AS CHANGE MY MEDS NOW BUT I'M VERY CONCERN ABOUT THE MEDS THAT I WAS TAKING FOR THE FIRST FEW WEEKS. IS MY BABY GOING TO BE OK. I HAVE A VERY GOOD DOCTOR, BUT IT NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING A SECOND ADVISE. I DON'T WANT NOTHING TO BE WRONG WITH MY CHILD AND I DON'T WANT MY CHILD TO BE POSITIVE. I PRAY EVERY DAY IT'S HARD FOR ME TO TAKE PILLS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE AND TO PUT A CHILD THROUGH THAT , THAT'S NOT WHAT I WANT. PLEASE HELP ME.

Response from Dr. Lee

Since we cannot know exactly how any medicine will effect any individual, and cannot know for certain how much of an impact the medicine may have on a developing human embryo, we use available studies and reports from other individuals. The three medicines you listed are generally considered safe and are commonly prescribed for use during pregnancy.

The study of medicines in human pregnancy has many difficulties, so mice, rats, rabbits, dogs, and other animals are given the medicines and their infants are checked for any abnormalities.

Viread reproduction studies (doses of at least 14 times those used per body size) in rats and rabbits showed no evidence of harm to the fetus.

Epivir studies in rats and rabbits (dosed up to 35 times the normal dose) showed some evidence of early miscarriage in rabbits, but no effect on rats.

Viramune tested in rats and rabbits at levels approximately 50% higher than the usual human dose showed no observable effect.

P regnancy and Sustiva
please help me