Women and HIVWomen and HIV

seroconverted when pregnant

Hi, I tested negative right before I conceived, then was Dxd after my infant turned 4 months of age (she passed away at 8 mos of age from complications of AIDS). My initial T cell count was 399 with VL of 39,000. Then T cells remain 350 ish and VL has dropped to around 15,000. My question is this: Because I seroconverted during an immune supressed time (pregnancy) is this why my T cells dropped so low and haven't gone back up? Will they ever go back up (naturally? ) I was on a trial of meds for a short time while trying to conceive another pregnancy and my VL was undetectable but after 5 months on meds my t cells remained 350ish...is this just the number my t cells are going to be? Are they WNL because of being female with pregnancy??

Response from Dr. Sullivan

There is no data to suggest that women infected during pregnancy do less well than those infected when not pregnant; if you are receiving treatment adherence to the madications is extremely important; you should work with your physician to identify a three drug regimen that will keep your viral load undetectable; JLS.

Mark Powell, HIV Case Manager
Nevirapine Treatment