Women and HIVWomen and HIV

I am so confused!!!!!!!

Please I would be very grateful if my questions are answered. My husband has been HIV+ since 1996 but I didn't know until two weeks after we got married December 2003. Before we got married, we have been having unprotected sex. After the shocking discovery, I went for HIV test but my result read HIV-. So confused, I went to other health centers to redo the test but still came out HIV-. Dr, can you please explain why it is so(he's HIV+ and I am HIV- after having unprotected sex). Is it that I am infected with the virus or not? If I am infected, when will I start to resd HIV+? What are chances of having children? Please Dr, I need to know.

Response from Dr. Lee

You are lucky that sex with your HIV+ spouse has not as yet passed the HIV to you. There are several resources in thebody.com to learn more about what scientists refer to as "discordantcouples". That is mixed status couples in which only one partner is infected.

It is important to use safer sex techniques in order to protect you from the virus. Just because you have not yet "caught" HIV, doesn't mean that you will be forever immune or safe.

I would really advise you to sit down with a knowledgable HIV educator or physician (such as your husband's doctor) to get more information about your specific situation, including safety issues related to pregnancy.

Please see the thebody.com forums on "Mixed Status Couples" and "Safe sex, Prevention & Transmission" to learn more.

persistant yeast infection
Mark Powell, HIV Case Manager