Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV Testing in Newborn

We want to adopt twins girls from Guatemala. They were born in Dec 03. I have been told that both girls and the Mother tested positive twice for HIV. I do not know what tests were done on them. I have been told to move on, but don't want too. I have been researching and feel that there may be hope for these girls. They were born c-section and are not being breast fed. What can I ask my contacts to do for these babies or what tests can they do so I can be absolutely sure of the results. Please advise. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

If the mother of the twins is HIV infected her antibodies to HIV were passed through the placenta to her babies; if the babies were tested for HIV antibodies they would test positive but not be necessarily infected; the sure way to determine if they are infected is by performing a DNA or RNA PCR test which detect the actual presence of the virus; if the twins are more than 4 weeks old and have two of these tests which are negative you can be absolutely sure that they are not infected; JLS.

No where to turn
unprotected sex