Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pregnant hiv+ female.What can i do?
Dec 9, 2003

I am hiv+ and a few weeks pregnant.I would really like to have this baby.My cd4 is 464 and i am still healthy.What are the best options for me to reduce co-infection and to optimise my health during my pregnancy? I also regularly jog for about 20-30 minutes,will this be safe now that i'm expecting?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

If you haven't already done so, I would urge you to se your obstetrician and HIV care providers for your frst pre-natal visit. In addition to doing all of the routine tests that are usually done during pregnancy (blood counts; screening for co-infections including hepatitis, syphilis, etc.) they will re-evaluate your viral load and CD4 count. Since viral load is one of the strongest predictors of transmission risk, antiretroviral therapy is generally recommended during pregnancy to optimize control of viral load, which in turn will optimize maternal health and reduce the risk of transmitting the virus to the baby. The risk of transmission from a woman on therapy with undetectable viral load is less than 1%. Recommended regimens depend on the health status of the mother, prior treatment history, any history of intolerance to medications, etc. Women who become pregnant on therapy are generally advised to continue their medications if they are receiving benefit; however, since efavirenz is not recommended for use during pregnancy, replacement of this medication is advised. For more details regarding mother-to-child transmission and measures to reduce the risk, please see the Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Therapy During Pregnancy, available on this web site in the Treatment section. Good luck!

Previous
re: HELP Baby with Anemia
Next
hiv + female

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.