Women and HIVWomen and HIV

re: HELP Baby with Anemia

Hi Dr. Luzuriaga, thanks for answering my question. My baby is actually taking 5 units of Retrovir every 6 hours, that means 0,5 cc every 6 hours (his weight when he's born was 2,55 kg). I guess then that Retrovir dose fits your guidelines. I will have him checked tomorrow for HGB and than discuss the result with his care giver. If we would head to a 4 weeks only treatment is that going to affect his possibility of seroconverting?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

While we don't have data to indicate the optimal duration of prophylaxis, most of us feel that the early weeks of treatment are the most important. If you need to stop therapy at 4 weeks, this will not likely increase the risk of infection. Good luck!

healthcare worker
Pregnant hiv+ female.What can i do?