Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

healthcare worker
Dec 7, 2003

I am a nurse in a neonatal intensive care unit. We got a baby whose mother was hiv pos. but we did not know at the time. I took care of this infant before the initial bath, and drew labwork on him without the use of gloves at all times. I had a cut with a scab on the top of my hand, but do not believe any blood came in contact with it. I also use good handwashing techniques after touching infants. I know HIV does not live long outside the body, but what about the babies skin before the initial bath? I'm sure I touched it. He was a ceserean, does that decrease the risk? I'm very confused and scared. I filled out a paper at work, and will be tested, but what are my risks?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

If your hands were not in contact with any visible blood, your risk of acquiring HIV infection is probably low. In the future, I would urge you to adhere to universal precautions and use gloves whenever drawing blood.

Previous
my friend is has aids but his wife dosent will the baby get it
Next
re: HELP Baby with Anemia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.