Women and HIVWomen and HIV

healthcare worker

I am a nurse in a neonatal intensive care unit. We got a baby whose mother was hiv pos. but we did not know at the time. I took care of this infant before the initial bath, and drew labwork on him without the use of gloves at all times. I had a cut with a scab on the top of my hand, but do not believe any blood came in contact with it. I also use good handwashing techniques after touching infants. I know HIV does not live long outside the body, but what about the babies skin before the initial bath? I'm sure I touched it. He was a ceserean, does that decrease the risk? I'm very confused and scared. I filled out a paper at work, and will be tested, but what are my risks?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

If your hands were not in contact with any visible blood, your risk of acquiring HIV infection is probably low. In the future, I would urge you to adhere to universal precautions and use gloves whenever drawing blood.

my friend is has aids but his wife dosent will the baby get it
re: HELP Baby with Anemia