Women and HIVWomen and HIV

His fiance is pregnant? Will she become HIV positive?

My former foster son is living with AIDS. He has a viral load of 7000 and t-cells of about 600.

In sexual relations with his fiance recently, his condom broke. Since that time, she has tested HIV positive on a home HIV test (the results were sent to the laboratory), but tested negative at a local hospital.

Moreover, she is 23 days late in getting her period. They are concerned she might be pregnant. I know the perinatal transmission rates under the right circumstances are as low as 1 to 2 percent. However, given his viral load, what are the chances she will become HIV positive? Is delayed menstruation related with HIV?

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

While the risk of transmission is probably decreased from individuals with lower viral loads, it is not nil. Your son's fiance should see her care provider right away for pregancy and repeat HIV testing.

Will my foster son seroconvert?
HELP--Baby with Anemia due to AZT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!