Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Foot pain in HIV-positive 4 year old

My HIV+ 4 year old has begun complaining of foot pain. It has occurred off and on for a couple of weeks. It shows no relation to whether she has on shoes or is barefoot, whether she had been active or sedentary. Last night she was crying with the pain. She is pointing to the ball of her foot and the bottom of her feet when I ask where it hurts. Could this be Neuropathy? She is on Retrovir, Epivir and Viramune since birth. Viral load is undetectable and CD4 normal. I do intend to see her doctor but would like some idea before I can get her in to see him. Very concerned.

Response from Dr. Sullivan

I think it is very unlikely that this represents a drug induced neuropathy with the drug regimen that she is receiving; children of this age frequently have these kinds of pains which are not serious and go away; I agree that it would be best to have her seen by her pediatrician; JLS.

enlarged/swollen lymph nodes
Will my foster son seroconvert?