Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Please Help- need advice on infection

Hello Dr.,

I am worried because I think I have an opportunistic infection. I am a virgin, but I have engaged in oral sex with 5 men from August of 2002 until the present. The last person I had oral sex with was on Sept 19, and that is why I am concerned, because two days later, I caught a sore throat, runny nose, and weakness and fatigue. Two weeks later I experienced pressure against the eyes and sinuses. Throughout these past (almost 6 weeks) while the fatigue, pressure against the sinuses is gone, I feel lightheaded and my ears are plugged up. My dr. put me on amoxicilin but my head still feels slightly lightheaded. Also, while my body feels normal, I have over the past two days been getting slight twitching or pain for about 2 seconds along my arm, underarm and legs on ocassion. My question for you is, based on my oral sex experience- also petting but no fluid ever entered or came into contact with me- what is the likelihood I caught the virus, and now I am experiencing an opportunisitc infection from any one of these given men this past year I had oral with? Also, I worked with many IV drug users this summer in jail cells where I would have to share a pen with them for them to sign their name- I had two healing warts on my fingers- could this lead to possible exposure? I WOULD GREATLY appreciate a response!

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Your symptoms are not those of an opportunistic infection; HIV can be transmitted through oral sex although transmission by this route probably occurs less commonly than that observed through vaginal intercourse[ the per contact risk of transmission is 0.1-0.3%]; if you have concerns that you may be infected you should contact your physician or local health department and ask to be tested for HIV; JLS.

Tattooing and Piercings...please help
Mother with HIV