The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tattooing and Piercings...please help
Oct 20, 2003

I am a 28yo mother of three. I received two tattoos about 2weeks apart approx..9 weeks ago. I also purchased some jewelry for a piercing I have. My concern is the tattoo artist wore gloves used sterilized needles and used fresh ink but didn't change her gloves after touching inanimate objects such as the spray bottle of soap, the bottles of ink, the knobs on the machine and the chair. The second tattoo was exceptionally deep and bleed quite a bit....I also purchased jewelry which I assume was not autoclaved. I soaked it in alcohol & inserted it. My piercing must not have been healed and it bleed some. About 4 weeks ago I came down with my yearly attack of Asthmatic or Chornic Bronchitis and I have had a sore throat for a few weeks off and on...I normaly wouldn't have even given this illness a second thought but....

I have been tested several times for HIV and HEPC during my pregnancys...I also have been immunized against hep b as I am a nursing student....I have no other risk factors as I am married...and only have sexual intercourse with my husband. Would these situations warrant testing, am I at risk for HIV And HEPC in this case. I realized the correct time frame for testing would be approx 3mo after possible exposure. Thank you so much.........

Response from Dr. Sullivan

You may want to get tested for Hep C; it is very remote that HIV would be transmitted in this manner; if you have any concerns you should seek testing to put your concerns at rest; JLS.

Scared girl ....took a test. Good indication?
Please Help- need advice on infection

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint