Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Testing in Adoption Referral

My husband and I are considering adopting a child recently referred to us from a Russian baby home. She was born several weeks premature and has tested negative via the ELISA test. As I understand it, this test can provide false positives in babies but not false negatives. Is this true?

Response from Dr. Aberg

One negative ELISA is enough. The only way it may be a "false negative" is if the wrong baby was tested and the baby you were adopting actually did not get tested. In that sense, it actually would not be a false negative but a medical error.

An awkward feeling...
ms.bear