Women and HIVWomen and HIV

An awkward feeling...

Hey, I just found out that one of my best friends has HIV. I can't help but be a little worried about the risk of my contraction of the virus, although I know that it can be quite easy to prevent. Also, I honestly don't know what to say to her about it. Are there any comforting words I can say to make her feel better, or to let her know that I'm not mentally freaking out about it? I'm very concerned about her, and she is very paranoid that I'm going to hate her now. Please tell me how to deal with this! Thanks!

Response from Dr. Aberg

The most improtant thing you can do right now is to be supportive of your friend and help her learn about her disease. I suggest you both go to a local AIDS service organization and find out as much as you can about HIV. It is important to seek medical care and stay in care. The fact that you remain a friend and are willing to learn about HIV with her will be the most comforting measure. Your behavior will set the tone and will be more powerful than any words can say. Although, it is good to remind people that we do care and love them.

I wish you both the best.

Breast sucking confusion caused by Dr Jackson on 09th August
Testing in Adoption Referral