Women and HIVWomen and HIV

I'm not sure if I'm HIV+

Hello, A recent(7/23/03) visit to my OB/GYN because I was looking to become pregnant(1st time) prompted her to first run several test with HIV being one of them. On 7/25 the results came back that I was HIV+. According to my lab report: Western Blot Interp: positive, and all of the following was present: gp160 ab, gp120 ab, p65ab, p55ab, p51 ab, gp41 ab, gp40 ab, p31 ab, p24 ab, p18 ab, a second test was perfomed on 8/1 and I rec'd the same results. I was then referred to a HIV specialist who did more blood work(8/29) that came back...CD4 at 842 and he could NOT find any thing in my viral load, (he did not request another western blot test...will request at my next visit 10/20 he suggested we wait at least another 4 weeks and all other test came back fine...my liver, kidneys, etc. I'm a 33 year old, African American female. I have never been ill (an occasional allergy flare up) or showed any of the typcial signs that I was exposed to the virus. What could this mean? Thanks for your help and time.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

With two positive ELISA"s and confirmatory Western blots, you probably are infected with HIV. However, your high CD4 T cell count and apparently low viral load suggest a good prognosis. Your care provider should be able to provide you with recommendations regarding therapy after your next visit. If you are considering pregnancy, you should read the "Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Therapy During Pregnancy", available on this web site -- this document provides information on mother-to-child transmission of HIV and ways to minimize the risk. Good luck!

Need a straight answer!
BABY ON THE WAY!