Women and HIVWomen and HIV

FROM INDIA,HAVE MERCY

HI

DEAR DOCTOR

WHAT EXACTLY IS THE WINDOW PERIOD OFR HIV,3 MONTHS 12 WEEKS,OR 6 MONTHS,,IAM CONFUSED AND SURE ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL BE.WHEN SHOULD ONE TEST AFTER EXPOSURE.

WELL I HAD A EXPOSURE ON MAY 1WHERE I THOUGHT A USED NEEDLE WAS USED TO DRAW MY BLOOD,ALTHOUGH IAM NOT SURE THAT INDEED A USED NEEDLE WAS USED ,TOOK IT FOR GRANTED THAT A USED NEEDLE WAS USED TO DRAW MY BLOOD,BUT THE HIV STATUS OF THE PERSON I S UNKNOWN TO ME,EVEN IF THE NEEDLE WAS A USED NEEDLE.

THEREFORE TESTED ON JULY 28,WHICH IS 88 DAYS AFTER THE EXPOSURE AND ON AUGUST 2,WHICH IS 93 DAYS AFETR EXPOSURE,BOTH NEGATIVE THROUGH ELISA.SHOULDI TEST AT 6 MONTHS.

THANKYOU

AND GOD BLESS,LOTS OF LOVE FROM INDIA.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Most people make antibody responses within 12 weeks of infection; delayed antibody production is less common. So, testing at 3 months should pick up most people who have acquired infection. To be sure, however, some practitioners recommend re-testing at 6 mo.

hiv heterosexual transmission
Need a straight answer!