Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can having herpes affect and HIV test?
Sep 16, 2003

I was wondering...i had an HIV test done last week and am still awaiting the results. I have HSV1 and have been having an outbreak for about a month, and have been, and still am on a high dose of acyclovir. Can any of this affect the outcome of the HIV test? also...how is it possible to get a false positive if you dont have HIV???

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Neither an acute episode episode of herpes or herpes antiviral therapy should affect HIV testing results. Some people have antibodies that cross-react with components of the HIV antibody screening assay (ELISA) and cause false positive results. Because of this, a confirmatory test looking for specific antibodies to HIV proteins is always done to confirm HIV infection.

Previous
Caeserian Section VS Normal Delivery
Next
hiv heterosexual transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.