Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Can having herpes affect and HIV test?

I was wondering...i had an HIV test done last week and am still awaiting the results. I have HSV1 and have been having an outbreak for about a month, and have been, and still am on a high dose of acyclovir. Can any of this affect the outcome of the HIV test? also...how is it possible to get a false positive if you dont have HIV???

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

Neither an acute episode episode of herpes or herpes antiviral therapy should affect HIV testing results. Some people have antibodies that cross-react with components of the HIV antibody screening assay (ELISA) and cause false positive results. Because of this, a confirmatory test looking for specific antibodies to HIV proteins is always done to confirm HIV infection.

Caeserian Section VS Normal Delivery
hiv heterosexual transmission