Women and HIVWomen and HIV

HIV+ Where do I go from here?

I was recently diagnosed HIV+ and I am completely paralysed as to what to do. I do not even know my CD4 count. I started taking vitamins to boost my immune system, but have not started any HIV medication. Can you advise me what my next step should be in dealing with this disease. Also, where can I find a good treatment centre where I can get a complete evaluation of my condition, and a variety of treatment options.

Response from Dr. Luzuriaga

I would urge you to learn as much as you can about HIV and your treatment options and to seek a care provider who is experienced in treating individuals with HIV infection. This site has extensive information on HIV infection and treatment -- you might wish to start with the HIV Basics and Treatment Guidelines sections. Other excellent sites for general information on HIV and treatment include: 1) the National Institutes' of Health HIV Site (www.aidsinfo.nih.gov) 2) the NIH AIDS Clinical Trials Group Site (aactg.s-3.com) 3) the Community Program for Clinical Research (www.cpcra.org)

You can find information on U.S. centers and clinics that provide care for HIV positive individuals at the latter 2 sites.

As you learn about your options and make your decisions, you might find the various forums on this site helpful. I wish you the best of luck.

Testesterone and HIV medication
Living Life Forever