The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i think relative and pregnant girlfriend are HIV+
Sep 7, 2003


Second time askin and really worried. I'll keep this short. For about 2 years a relative of mine has suffered from regular colds, flu's, tirdness and the occasional loose bowels. He does not prctice safe sex much, but i,ve thought nothing of it, until now.

i have just returned from travelling for 8 months and have learnt a lot about HIV symptons. I am now convinced he has it. When i got back i was thinking of telling him to take a test, but i have just discovered that his girlfriend is 6 months pregnent and has just had her second scan. Nothing has shown up so far.

My question is that, is there any chance something would have shown up by now?? I don't know what to do, as i don't want to worry them for nothing.

Also his girlfriend has had colds and feelings of tirdness EVEN in the early stages of preganacy.

Thanks for your time. A worried UK citizen.

Response from Dr. Aberg

I do not know the standards of care for pregnant women in the UK. In the United States, all pregnant women are offered HIV testing. If you are worried about your friends, why not start an open conversation about what you observed during your travels? It is not uncommon for women to be tired during early pregnancy. Many individuals are prone to colds and does not mean they have HIV.

Commonly, a "friend advice" is actually the person who wants the advice. If you have questions about your HIV status, I encourage you to get tested especially if there is an unborn baby potentially at risk.

Painful lymph nodes
Testesterone and HIV medication

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint