Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confusion and fear
Aug 23, 2003

I was taken advantage of by an aquaintence of mine not too long ago. Considering the number of years I have known him I've grown quite accustomed to trusting him, and was drunk to the point that it took days for me to realize the full impact of events. I guess considering the heavy drinking he does regularly now upon entering our 30's I initially assumed he couldn't do anything or would have a difficult time doing much sexually. Though upon recollecting the events, I believe he may have ejaculated inside of me several times. I was simply too drunk to feel or be aware of what he was doing.

I have always known him to be an active drug user and am aware of a co-worker of ours from about 6 years ago having a minor case of small pox. He (the one who had small pox) announced to the entire kitchen that anyone who used IV drugs and has shared a nedle with anyone who worked there should get tested.

Either way, considering how intertwined the co-workers were I'm very upset and worried. I heard that many people will know as soon as 25 days. I haven't had so much as a cold in 2 years so I went in and tested negative at 4 weeks.

The grape vine also informed me that 8 weeks is considered conclusive by some experts and so then again I went in at 8 weeks and tested negative again.

Though I have not gotten the results from my 13 week test as of yet (the woman I was tested by at 8 weeks thought it was silly that I wanted to test again), the man testing me said that according to the seminars he goes to the unofficial window period is more like 45 days.

Ok, this is what I'm looking to know. If you were to get HIV from an IV user infection... even if it is transmitted through sex, would it still take longer to seroconvert considering those who use IV drugs tend to take longer to develop aids?

Also would there be a possibility considering I haven't been sick in so long that (maybe this is a stretch) but my immune system is out of practice?

I apologize if I gave you too much info, but this has been eating at me. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Jackson

Testing negative 4 and 8 weeks after exposure is very reassuring that you are very unlikely to be HIV infected since most people seroconvert between 3-6 weeks later. If you want more reassurance have yourself tested again at 13 weeks. If negative at 13 weeks I would not recommend any further testing unless you have additional exposures.

BJ

Previous
Is she really negative?
Next
baby is negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.