Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Is she really negative?

Hello Doctors, in 2001 I was diagnosed +ve and I was pregnant. I was immediately put on Combivir and my VL went from 80000 to 9000. I think it was around 9000 when I gave birth. I had a C-section and did not breast feed. The baby was given AZT for about 3 weeks after birth. At 6 weeks she was had a PCR done and it ws negative. She is healthy but suffers from recurrent bronchitis. Is she really negative? What are the chances that she might have seroconverted after she was tested. Another thing I want to know is that she often wants to share sweets and things with me. Is this saliva exchange not dangerous for her?

Response from Dr. Jackson

The DNA PCR test at 6 weeks of age is very sensitive in detecting HIV infection meaning probably 98-99% of infants infected at birth will have detectable virus by PCR at 6 weeks of age.

Transmission of HIV through saliva is thought to be very rare especially if the infected person has a low viral load. Nevertheless I would avoid such exposures as a practice.

BJ

higher viral loads if someone does not produce antibodies?
confusion and fear