Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rape, Pregnancy and HIV?!

Thanks in advance for your time! I became pregnant in June of 2002 by my husband, with twins. Days before I discovered I was pregnant, I was raped by a so-called "friend". I chose not to tell anyone, and still havent. 81 days post exposure, a routine HIV test was done as part of my pregnancy. I have been healthy, and the babies when they were born, aside from being small, have also been healthy. The only thing wrong was that one has had an ear infection. 4 weeks post rape a wisdom tooth came in, and I was feverish and feeling bad until the tooth broke through. During the rape, he ejaculated outside my body, though I am not sure if there was pre-ejaculate. I dont know his status. Is my NEGATIVE 81 days test conclusive? I am worried for the saftey of my new babies. Thanks again!

Response from Dr. Jackson

Given that you do not know whether your "friend" is HIV positive, that he did not ejaculate in you, and that you have a negative HIV test almost 3 months after your exposure, I do not think that you are HIV infected and neither should you.

BJ

6 months twin pregnancy
higher viral loads if someone does not produce antibodies?