Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Women and HIVWomen and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

6 months twin pregnancy
Aug 19, 2003

I am now 6 months pregnant with twins. About 12 weeks ago I had an experience that makes me worry about a hiv-infection. I want to take an Elisa, but: in my "pregnancy literature" I read that by 6 months twin pregnancy my blood plasma volume has increased with about 70 and the volume of cells of the immune system and antibodies only increase with max. 25. This would leave me with quite a dilution of antibodies in the blood. Would an Elisa still find antibodies, given the great dilution? Thanks foor your answer. A.

Response from Dr. Jackson

The sensitivity of an Elisa assay for HIV antibody would not be significantly affected by the increased plasma volume associated with pregnancy. Some HIV antibody positive plasma samples can be diluted a million fold and yet HIV antibody can still be detected with an ELISA assay.

BJ

Previous
hiv 2
Next
Rape, Pregnancy and HIV?!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.